Thursday, June 28, 2012

Field Walkin'


If you work here at the farm you will eventually come into my office or hunt me down in a field or in the shop. If you break down you will come to me, if you get stuck, you will try to find me, if it rains you out you will look for me, if you finish something you will call me, if you don't finish something you will try and find me, if you are confused, don't understand, don't have what you need, have more than you need, lose what you had etc. you will try and get hold of me. The buck stops here. On a good day I am grateful and even keeled, I try to handle these situations with a level head and a sense of  humor...on a good day. I tell myself that I am in service to our customers, that our subscribers and market shoppers want to know that their food is being grown with their best interest in mind; not only regarding our farming practices but also in the general vibe here at the farm. But know this: I not only have problems brought to me, I actively seek them out.

I spend much more time looking for unhealthy plants than I do standing at the end of a row or field and patting myself on the back. Oh, and I find them. It is our belief that prevention is far more appealing than trying to correct a problem, so I spend a lot of time observing plant health, and trying to stay ahead of pests and cultural requirements. The following set of pictures shows a little of both.

 Here our Chard is getting hit with a bit of Cucumber Beetle pressure. Despite how awful this plant looks, they should pull out of it as soon as they begin to grow faster than the beetles can eat. They just need a bit more heat. We usually cover these early planting with row cover, but opted out this year. Time will tell if this was a fools move.
 



 Luckily, the Chard is near our perennial flowers and after looking at it, I was treated to an eyeful of blooms and buds.
 The flowers are coming on just in time to make bouquets for our first CSA delivery. As a matter of fact I have spent a few hours a day for the past few days training our new flower cutter. For better or worse, cutting flowers is one of those farm jobs at which I undeniable excel. I have spent a whole lot of time cutting flowers over the years and fancy myself among the fastest. It makes it difficult to teach any other way but to have someone watch me and then dissect the procedure. It is all physical memory, and if you ask me how I cut flowers I cannot answer, I just have to get out there and do it.





I do a complete field walk every week; every field, every crop, nearly every row.
I pack a clip board around and make notes on the health and vigor of plants, record the presence of pests and diseases, monitor variety trials, and watch for safety concerns. I get down and dirty.



And occasionally, with a little encouragement, I goof off a bit.
 Last years leeks have all gone to flower and the field is otherworldly. Who could resist getting in the middle of this bizarre landscape?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike: LOVE your blogs...felt like I was out there with you. So happy with my "petite" share last week & the lovely flowers you cut are happily opening. A happy CSA customer...marge mohoric